WEEKEND CLASSES WILL HAVE AN ON-SITE LIVESCAN FINGERPRINT PROVIDER. (Additional fee applies, payable by cash or credit/debit card.)
If an advertised date is not showing on the calendar, that indicates that the class is full. If you wish, please call the range to be put on a cancellation list.
Provides training as required by the State of Maryland for those wishing to apply for their initial Wear & Carry Permit. Full Course Description below. NOTE: As part of the application process, applicants must also get fingerprinted at a Maryland LiveScan location. It is recommended that you complete this prior to attending the course, but no more than 30 days prior to completing your application. The application fee that you pay to Maryland (separate charge paid as part of the online application process) includes the criminal background check that they perform on all applications. We are happy to assist students with submitting their online application and uploading the required documentation. We can also take the required passport photo for you.
Course Length: 16 Hours (Initial Applicants)
Day 1: 9:00am-5:00pm
Day 2: 10:00am-6:00pm
9:00-5:00pm each day
On Day 2, students should bring a holster and their own firearm, if they have these. Otherwise, use of a .22 cal. pistol and a Sticky Holster will be provided (please wear a belt or pants with a sturdy, somewhat tight waistband). Also for Day 2, please avoid wearing loose-fitting tops and sandals.
Day 1: Classroom Instruction
- Rules for Safe Firearm Handling and Use
- Home Safety and Storage
- Handgun Nomenclature and Operation
- Handgun Action Types
- MD Firearms Law
- Application Requirements and Process
- Selection/Maintenance/Storage of a Handgun
- Shooting Fundamentals
- Use of lethal force
- “Tactical Mindset” and Situational Awareness
- Dry and Live-Fire Training: Students will learn how to react in a variety of real-life situations, as well as identifying cover and concealment, firing from cover, firing from holstered position and other defensive pistol skills.
- Live Fire Certification
Use of range facilities and .22 cal. handgun, ammo and target included. Students may use their own firearm if they wish – if other than .22 caliber, ammo not included and must be purchased from range to meet insurance requirements.
- Meet procedural safety requirements
- Demonstrate marksmanship skill (5 rounds at 3, 5, 7 and 15 yards – 70% accuracy rating to qualify.)